Wednesday, December 3, 2008

WHERE I GREW UP, WE RODE IN TRUCKS....

After spending one of the best weekends ever at home this past weekend, I discovered after coming back up to the "City Life" that I am having strange side-effects. No, they aren't the side-effects that you hear on every medication commercial.



I'm not going to have a rush of dizziness, fatigue, weight loss or gain.

None of my hair is going to fall out, nor is my skin going to get dry and flakey.



I am just experiencing a strange LOVE for Sanpete County that I haven't had in the past. I guess it's nothing to be ashamed of...



All my life, I've considered myself a "City Girl".... I was going to move to California, get a good job where maybe one day I could become famous or maybe even meet someone famous, marry someone rich and only come back home when I HAD to. It's like the song "Home Is Where The Heart Is" by Lady Antebellum where she says "I felt I was spinning my wheels Before too long the road was calling I packed everything I own So sure that I was leaving this small town life behind for good And not a single tear was falling"



Yes, this is exactly how I felt. No matter how much I got homesick, moving back was just not something I would ever do. Not that that is what I'm doing now, but I have officially come to the decision that I would LOVE to raise my family in Sanpete! Now I know some of you out there have your ideas about small towns and kids and how there is nothing better to do but drugs and drink and have sex... but that is SO not true! I believe it is all in how you raise your kids. Me and my best friends were all raised to be people our parents could trust and in return we had SO much fun together! We didn't go out and party and ok, maybe we didn't do the "cool thing" at the moment... half the time we probably looked like nerds and still do but whats wrong with that if we're having fun and staying out of trouble?



Sorry about getting on my soapbox for a minute there. Anyway, Sanpete... yeah. I miss it. I miss the Christmas lights this time of year and the Holiday spirit. I miss the wide open fields in between the cities, with a few animals roaming around. I miss the fresh country air and (even though I kind of also hate it) the way that everyone knows everyone else and makes you feel welcome. You just don't get that in the city.



Now, I love where I am at right now in life. There are a few changes I would make but for the most part it's great! The people at work are like a little family for me and I have become good friends with some really amazing people! Also, the fact that I get to go home on the weekends, keeps me going! It's a place of refuge from the busy every-day life.



So for those of you who think I'm dumb for coming home so much, or not getting a second job through the Holidays and things like that... Thank-you for caring. I really do appreciate it and I know that a lot of your advice is probably the choices that I should've made. However, driving into Fairview after a long week and seeing the small town life just makes me happy! Being able to be near my best friends, who are more like sisters (and brother!) is so important to me! Especially around the holidays when EVERYONE is home. There is really no where else in the world I would rather be!



Ok, now off my cheesiness... well I'm sure this next part is pretty cheesey too... But I heard this song the other day and it reminds me so much of our small county of Sanpete! So yes, I just had to post the lyrics! Enjoy!



We Rode In Trucks- Luke Bryan



Down where I born it was heaven on earth.

The Flint River washes that red Georgia dirt.

The sun sets slow and the stars shine bright.

We raised cotton, corn, a little cane, and kids.

You either lived on a farm or wish you did.

Jesus always walked close by our side.

Where I grew up, we rode in trucks.





There's a lot about life you can learn on a bus,

How to lie,

how to fight,

how to kiss,

how to cuss.

The closer we sat to the back, the smarter we got.

We were poor, we were ugly, we were all best friends.

White-eyed, baptized, and still wantin' to sin.

Thank God we get more than just one shot.

Where I grew up, we rode in trucks.





That's us, haulin' hay in the field with the radio on.

That's us, headin' straight into town when the work is done.

In my mind, I can still see us now, ridin' down Buck Island Road.

It wasn't that long ago.



We thought tobacco and beer in a can

Was all it would take to be like our old man.

But I saw how it made my momma cry.

It was huntin' and fishin' and football games.

Then it was girls, and everything changed,

our lives.

Fallin' in and out of love, we rode in trucks.



That's us with our tailgates down in the parking lot.

That's us with mud on our tires when it rained a lot.

In my mind, I can still see us now, ridin' down Buck Island Road.

It wasn't that long ago, it's apart of my soul.

Yeah, Down where I was born, it was heaven on earth.

The Flint River washes that red Georgia dirt.

The sun sets slow and the stars shine bright.

Where I grew up, we rode in trucks.





Ok so for the most part, don't you think of Sanpete when you read this? Or if you don't know what or where Sanpete is, don't ya think of a small town? Yeah, I thought so!

2 comments:

Kaylyn said...

whit!!! this so explains how i feel!! really you are the only person to but it into words for me!!! so thankyou!!!i love you and i love our red neck hick town and all those people who think we never made it big...we just know what they all forgot!!! ITS HOME!!!

Sky said...

So um I think that pretty much I've been right all along! ha ha! Yey for Sky!! I love Sanpete County.. I'm gonna live in a small town for the rest of my life! ;)