Tuesday, July 8, 2008

pRAyiN FoR tiMe....

So the other day, one of my friends gave me Dorian Gray. I'm talking about the Oscar Wilde book, not the Swedish pop band, and if you don't already know it, it's this freaky story about this pretty boy, who's got a painting of himself up in his attic and year after year he stays, you know like young and beautiful but the painting itself changes to reflect just- the horrible, like the ugly person he's become on the inside. I don't know, stay young and beautiful forever? Maybe I'd take that deal. Anyway, it's the whole idea that art reflects the soul and sometimes it takes on a life of its own.
So i've been thinking about a different kind of art.... love. Not love as in.... Romance. But love as in good samaritan, friendship, world peace kind of love.
You know what I find odd? People who fight OVER something, instead of fighting FOR something. I mean, there's a huge difference. You see people fighting over a top selling book, a new iphone, tickets to the biggest movie of the summer, a spot on American Idol... whatever. Doesn't it seem kind of trivial? I mean I turn on the tv and I see people fighting for human rights or for a bottle of water, just so they don't die of thirst and I think... at least they're fighting for something real!
This song that Carrie Underwood remade (originally sang by George Michael... I know strange, right?) Anyway, it's got me thinking about all the things I could be doing for other people, rather than for myself. You could call it service, or charity or whatever you want... As long as it's doing something to better someone else. I mean, how good did you feel when you were a kid, in young mens or young womens and you would have to go rake a widows leaves or weed her flower beds? Maybe you had to make a dinner for the senior citizens on a special occasion or simply spend some time getting to know them. As adults, we don't really do these things anymore. I mean if we're involved in Relief Society or Priesthood, we have our occasions but we don't really ever do it on our own. Sure we might go visit our grandparents who are lonely but do you ever do something for random people? The feeling you get is amazing, just to see the look of appreciation and happiness on their faces.
This is something that I want in my career. Something where I can fulfill not only my needs, but the needs of other people. That really limits my options. I think about being a nurse... but I honestly couldn't stand the vomit and the feces I would have to spend the first couple years cleaning up. Now blood, I can do! So then I think about dentestry... it involves blood, but not the other stuff! And then I wonder if I could handle the bad breath and the creepy sound the drill makes that gives me chills... then I think about the less physical side of it. Maybe being a social worker or someone who can give somebody a better life. But taking from experience of what my sister Emilee use to do at a place called "RISE", I don't know if I could handle it. There is so many options to choose from and so many things to consider... it's enough to drive someone insane!
So today, I challenge you to do something for someone. Someone besides yourself and even your family. Maybe that person will be someone who is too proud to admit they need help. Or maybe it's an old man or woman in your neighborhood that you see walking to the mailbox and you rush to get there before they have to take another step. If you do it, I'll do it. And I promise that by the next time I post... the world could be just a little bit brighter! :)
Praying For Time Lyrics
These are the days of the open hand, They will not be the last
Look around now
These are the days of the beggars and the choosers
This is the year of the hungry man, Whose place is in the past
Hand in hand with ignorance and legitimate excuses
The rich declare themselves poor, And most of us are not sure
If we have too much but we’ll take our chances, Cause God stopped keeping score
I guess somewhere along the way, He must have let us all out to play
And turned his back, And all God’s children Crept out the back door
And its hard to love, Theres so much to hate
Hanging onto hope When there is no hope to speak of
And the wounded skies above, Say its much too late Oh maybe we should all be praying for time
This is the year of the empty hand, Oh you hold onto what you can
And charity is a coat you wear twice a year
These are the days of the guilty man, The television takes a stand
And you find that what was over there, Is over here
o you scream from behind your door, Say whats mine is mine and not yours
I may have too much But I'll take my chances cause, God stopped keeping score
And you'll cling to the things they sold you Did you cover your eyes when they told you
That he cant come back, Cause he has no childrento come back for
And its hard to love, when theres so much to hate
And hanging onto hope, When there is no hope to speak of
And the wounded skies above, Say its much, much too late
Mm, well maybe we should all be praying for time

2 comments:

Aubrey said...

I LOVE that song. Carrie sings it way better than George Michael... :) And I'm gonna try to do something nice for someone today! Love you!

Emilee said...

I hope that you can find that career that you truly love and makes you feel like a better person. I know i need to be better at doing things for others. Thanks for the reminder.