Lately, I've been thinking a lot about my love for music. It is such a big part of my life. Something that has always been there so I haven't really realized how big it is.
I heard this quote by Victor Hugo that said:
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
How true is that? This is what music does for me. It expresses that which cannot be said or that which I can't find the words to say.
I think I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again just to remind you. I believe there are two kinds of people in the world: Lyric people and Music people.
You know, Lyric people tend to be "analytical". All about the meaning of the song. They're the ones you see with the CD insert out like five minutes after buying it, pouring over the lyrics and interpreting the heck out of everything. Then there's the music people. They could care less about the lyrics as long as it's got a good beat and you could dance to it.
I said once before that it might be easier to be a music girl and not a lyric girl, but I wouldn't be who I am without being a lyric girl! My deep thoughts, and my writing and expressing myself through music... I don't know who I would be if I just let that all go. Would I still be me? Would I be a better me? I don't know.
You know what I've had on my brain lately? Disco. Yeah, betcha didn't see that comin! I know what you're all thinking, Disco isn't cool, right? Well here's the thing, disco wasn't designed to be cool! It was designed to be liberating! I looked it up! I mean, what better example of being liberated than a cop, a cowboy, a Native American, a biker and a construction worker... just chillin together! Disco is about giving in to the music and rejoicing in the face of whatever pains you are experiencing at the time! Think about the people who embraced Disco. Some of them had it really tough and they were still happy. At least in the music and on the dancefloor, they can let it all go.
Why can't we be more like that? Maybe I'll try it out. Next time you have a tough day, find a great song... whether it's Disco, Hip-Hop, Punk or whatever. Turn the volume on high and just dance. If you have to, keep dancing until you lose yourself... Or maybe find yourself again?
I keep finding these great songs lately... maybe not finding them because they are already a part of my music collection but discovering them. They all have meaning behind them.
Like the song "Call Me" by Shinedown... About a guy who has to make a choice. He loves this woman but he knows he is not good for her and they could never work. He knows she could be happier with someone else so he sacrifices his love and leaves...
Or the song "Raining Again" by Staind is about a girl who is already so bruised and broken that she looks at everything in a negative way. And any little bad thing that happens cuts her deeper and she just can't seem to pull out of the dark hole that she is in. But the lyrics say things like "A piece of glass, in the sand, under your feet, it cuts you deep" and "A wilted rose, your decay you see, you buy the flaws and miss the beauty"... if you are a music person who is just reading these lyrics, you would probably think that a girl cut her foot on some glass and then bought a dead rose.
Of course for all the lyric people out there, the meaning behind a song can be completely different than someone else's meaning.
Well my whole point of this post was to show that music is a huge part of my life and with the novel I've written here, I'm pretty sure I proved my point!
Again I say, can life get any better these days?? :)
2 comments:
There is nothing better on a rough day than a little Stayin Alive, it just makes me want to get up and dance (and I suck at dancing! I love your posts by the way. They entertain me!!
I'm a lyric girl too!!! :) I love you!
Post a Comment