Wednesday, December 9, 2009

*Change*

Ok, so I'm on a HUGE Carrie Underwood kick lately.


Who wouldn't be?
Every time I see her perform, I seriously want to cry because it's so amazing.
It reminds me of how much I wanted to be where she is, when I was growing up. And secretly, I still do!
I mean, having that kind of voice and being able to be on stage and sing to millions of people... it's honestly like a fairytale for me!

Anyway, so last night she did a holiday special on Fox 13. With all of us being
Carrie Underwood fans in our apartment, we piled in the front room to watch it.


As always, her voice was flawless the whole night! She sang a lot of songs off her new album, which I think I mentioned in an earlier post how amazing it is!
The last song she sang, really hit me.
It was a song called "Change" and it's all about what are you going to do to change the world?

See, lately I've really been thinking about how I can bring more of the spirit into my life. 
I've been thinking about areas I can do better and ways that I can bless other peoples lives.
When I got set apart for my calling, I was told that there are many people who I will have an oppertunity to change their lives, without even knowing.
How big is that?
I am going to be responsible for changing someone's life.
So I asked myself: Do I want to change their life for worse? Or for better?
It's funny because when I am home, I am trying harder to be aware of how I act and the example I am, because I know that I have neices and nephews that are watching me, and doing things that I do. One in particular that pays attention and she asks me questions about things I do, that I don't even pay attention to!
But when I come back up here, it's strange to me, to think that someone is watching me
for a reason other than to judge.

So in my attempt to bring more of the Spirit into my life, especially around this holiday season,
I've been trying to do more for other people.
Donating money to charities, doing small things that I see people are in need of and I have a real problem with spending money on people. Buying them dinner, food, movies, presents... whatever.
But it still doesn't seem like I'm doing enough.
My Bishop suggested things like : Deliver " Sub For Santa" gifts or
volunteer at the Food and Care Collition in Provo, volunteer at a home for
abused women by my apartment... The thing is, I don't want to do it alone and not very many people have the time to come with me. Not to mention I work from 9-5 and not everything is open
or available to help with after 5.
I guess I'll keep doing the things I'm doing and add in nightly Christmasy things like movies, music, Christmas stories, baking Christmas goodies....

Ok, so here are the lyrics to Carrie's song "Change"
I honestly challenge each of you to read the words and actually think about them and think about what you have been doing this year/ holiday season to change the world or someone's life.

* CHANGE*
What you gonna do with the 36 cents Sticky with coke on your floorboard?
When a woman on the street is huddled in the cold
On a sidewalk bench trying to keep warm.
Do you call her over, hand her the change
Ask her her story, ask her her name?
Or do you tell yourself?


"You're just a fool, just a fool to believe you can change the world"
Don't listen to them when they say,
"You're just a fool, just a fool to believe you can change the world"
Oh, the smallest thing can make all the difference,
Love is alive, don't listen to them when they say,
"You're just a fool, just a fool to believe you can change the world"


What you gonna do when you're watching TV
And an ad comes on, yeah, you know the kind...
Flashing up pictures of a child in need
For a dime a day, you could save a life.
Do you call the number, reach out a hand
Or do you change the channel, call it a scam?
Do you tell yourself?


"You're just a fool, just a fool to believe you can change the world"
Don't listen to them when they say,
"You're just a fool, just a fool to believe you can change the world"
Oh, the smallest thing can make all the difference,
Love is alive, don't listen to them when they say,
"You're just a fool, just a fool to believe you can change the world"


The world's so big, it can break your heart.
And you just want to help, not sure where to start.
So you close your eyes,
And send up a prayer into the dark.


"You're just a fool, just a fool to believe you can change the world"
Don't listen to them when they say,
"You're just a fool, just a fool to believe you can change the world"
Oh, the smallest thing can make all the difference,
Love is alive, don't listen to them when they say,
"You're just a fool, just a fool to believe you can change the world"

2 comments:

Robinson said...

Hi Whitney, hey I'm looking for Carrie Underwoods song "I'll Sand By You" Do you have it? I need it for our Christmas video this year. Let me know. Thanks, love you!~!!

Amy

Robinson said...

Did you get my text last night? I might have another asignment if you want it. I need 2 more songs that would work for the background of our family 2009 DVD. I wanted "Let there be Peace on Earth" but I can't find that one either. You get the idea. Let me know. 435-590-8927